January 31, 2020
- Recipients – Mail Copy B of Form 1099-MISC (except those allowed on Feb 18th) to your vendors and independent contractors.
- IRS – File Copies A and Form 1096 with the IRS for all 1099-MISC form with NEC (Applies to both paper & electronic filers). NEC stands for nonemployee compensation and is reported in Box 7.
February 18, 2020
- Recipients – Mail Forms 1099-B, 1099-S and 1099-MISC (only if reporting box 8 or 14) to vendors and independent contractors.
February 28, 2020 – Remaining paper 1099s
- IRS – File Copies A & Form 1096 with the IRS if filing on paper.
March 31, 2020 – Remaining electronic 1099s
- IRS – Copies A & Form 1096 with the IRS if filing electronically.
The due day to file 1099s with the IRS can be automatically extended for 30-days using Form 8809 except for NEC payments reported in Box 7. 1099 forms reporting NEC payments cannot be automatically extended.
The IRS recommends that companies file 1099-MISC corrections reporting NEC separately from 1099-MISC forms not reporting NEC.
For specific information on all information returns see the “Guide to Information Returns” included in the IRS General Instructions for Certain Information Returns.