Subscribe to receive the latest tips and updates

How do I know if a TIN from one of my vendor’s is incorrect?

After the submission of Form 1099 information returns, the IRS will send you a CP2100 or a CP2100A Notice and a listing of incorrect Name/TIN(s) reported on those forms.  It is also highly recommended to TIN match the name and TIN number of each W-9 you receive.  This can be done using the IRS TIN matching service or a third-party provider like W9manager.

For additional information see Publication 1281, Backup Withholding.