Subscribe to receive the latest tips and updates

Are transit passes and parking for independent contractors reportable on a 1099-MISC form?

Although you cannot provide qualified transportation fringes to independent contractors, the working condition and de minimis fringe rules for transit passes and parking apply to independent contractors. Tokens or farecards that enable an independent contractor to commute on a public transit system (not including privately operated van pools) are excludable from the independent contractor’s gross income and are not reportable on Form 1099-MISC if their value in any month is $21 or less. However, if the value of a pass provided in a month is greater than $21, the full value is part of the gross income and must be reported on Form 1099-MISC (Box 7). The value of parking may be excludable from an independent contractor’s gross income, and, therefore, not reportable on Form 1099-MISC if certain requirements are met. See Regulations section 1.132-9(b), Q/A-24.

For additional information see the 2019 Instructions for Form 1099-MISC