Subscribe to receive the latest tips and updates

Are scholarships or fellowship grants reportable on a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC form?

No.  Do not use Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC to report scholarship or fellowship grants. Scholarship or fellowship grants that are taxable to the recipient because they are paid for teaching, research, or other services as a condition for receiving the grant are considered wages and must be reported on Form W-2. Other taxable scholarship or fellowship payments (to a degree or nondegree candidate) do not have to be reported to the IRS on any form, unless section 6050S requires reporting of such amounts by an educational institution on Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement. See section 117(b)–(d) and Regulations section 1.6041-3(n) for more information.

For additional information see the Instructions for Form 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC.