Subscribe to receive the latest tips and updates

Are personal payments reportable on a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC form?

No.  Only payments made in the course of your business are reportable on Form 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC.  Personal payments are not reportable. You are engaged in a trade or business if you operate for gain or profit. However, nonprofit organizations are considered to be engaged in a trade or business and are subject to these reporting requirements. Other organizations subject to these reporting requirements include trusts of qualified pension or profit-sharing plans of employers, certain organizations exempt from tax under section 501(c) or (d), farmers’ cooperatives that are exempt from tax under section 521, and widely held fixed investment trusts. Payments by federal, state, or local government agencies also are reportable.

For additional information see the Instructions for Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC.